This contract with the public in the Cambridge constituency has been signed by an independent candidate. Tell us if you don’t think it should be an official contract that all candidates should sign in the comments below. No need to comment if you agree. Note all the points where he says he will resign if he steps over the line.
I, Old Holborn, as candidate in the General Election 2010 hereby agree to the following contract with my constituents:
• I will remain a fiercely loyal representative for my constituents. I will not put any party or other interest, before my constituents. If I do, I will resign.
• I will work with any organisation in Scotland, the UK or Europe if it will help the people of my constituency.
• I will never promise what I know I cannot deliver.
• I will endeavour to acknowledge all letters from constituents within 24 hours between Monday and Friday.
• I will endeavour to acknowledge all emails from constituents within 24 hours between Monday and Friday but hopefully sooner.
• I will attend regular advice/consultation sessions which will be widely advertised in the constituency. I will arrange home visits for the elderly, disabled and carers.
• I will never knowingly claim credit for something when the credit is not mine.
• I will tell people my real views, even when I know they will disagree with me.
• I will do my best to keep my website updated every day. I will blog regularly.
• My calendar will be published on my website and kept up to date daily from Monday to Friday.
• I will not claim one penny in expenses that is not absolutely required for me to carry out my job as an MP. If I do not keep this pledge, I will resign.
• I will publish my expenses (if any), in full, monthly or possibly weekly on my website. If I do not keep this pledge, I will resign.
• I will not use any taxpayer funded equipment or office for any other reason that to carry out my duties of MP. If I do not keep this pledge, I will resign.
• I will be a whistleblower against anyone. In this, I will not be anonymous and I will use the press. If I am caught knowing about illegality or sleaze and not whistle blowing, I will resign.
• I will be a full time MP with no jobs outside politics nor will I take any money from anyone for access. If I do work for anyone, it will be in a voluntary capacity which will not infringe on my time as an MP.
Signed Old Holborn 27.4.2010