by Don Pepper
If you haven’t had a go at this quiz click on to this link and try it. But don’t read the answers first – I trust you!
- Long Tailed Tit Aegithalos caudatus you don’t have to know the Latin name for a point.
- Tufted Duck Aythya fuligula
- This is an Egyptian Goose Tadorna aegyptiaca reputedly escaped from Holkham Hall in North Norfolk and now spreading like wildfire as far south as London. They breed on Hampstead and I saw over twenty in Cheshunt (Hertfordshire) a few weeks ago.
- This is a Mediterranean Gull Larus melanocephalus a small population breed on the coast in Britain, but will travel further inland to places like Brent reservoir, Alexander Palace etc. in harsh conditions.
- Great Tit Parus major no puns please.
- Shoveller Anus clypiata so called because of it’s spatula shaped bill.
- Mistle Thrush Turdus vsicivorus I wrote an article about thrushes as my first proper article December 2009.
- Sorry this is an Egyptian Goose gosling (chick) and without seeing it’s parents with it is I think incredibly difficult, congratulations if you got this one right.
- Juvenile Grey Heron called Henry aedea cynerea only get a point for juvenile nothing for just Grey Heron and 5 points if you guessed his name was Henry.
- This criminal is a Herring Gull Larus argentatus
- Waxwing Bombycilla garrulous there were a lot of these around from early December and it’s feasible that they could turn up anytime in Finchley.
- This is a Slavonian Grebe Policeps auritus and although extremely rare could turn up on Brent Reservoir etc.
How did you score
Less than 6 Birdus ignoramus you need to read more of my wildlife articles
6- 9 Ornithus okeus well done, you are a birdwatcher
10 or more craniumii gigantius What! Are you after my job?